The Lester Group was established in 1896 by G.T. Lester in Martinsville, Virginia. At the time, The Lester Group was known as the Lester Lumber Company. It originally consisted of a small sawmill and planning mill, with a small tract of timber land.
Over the course of its first 100 years, the company has grown into a multi-faceted operation with the strength to survive two major fires and numerous economic highs and lows.
Today, The Lester Group, Inc. includes three building supply dealers.
Lester Building Supply began operations inn Martinsville, VA early in the company history.
The Jim Carpenter Company began operations in 1955. The facility is now located in Fredericksburg, VA. It became part of the Lester Group in 1974 when Mr. Carpenter retired.
Taylor Brothers began operations in 1952 in Lynchburg, VA. Mr. Taylor retired in 2006 and Taylor Brothers is now part of the Lester Group.
Forestlands, manages over 18,000 acres of timberland from planting, to thinning, to harvesting while maintaining hunt club leases on all tracts.
Lester Properties & Lester
Development manage and develop commercial, retail, residential, and subdivision properties.